Thursday, August 9, 2007

I hate earthquakes!!!

We were just in an earthquake!!! IKKKK!!!! Roxy the dog and I are a little freaked out. Jimmy is cool as a cucumber and thinks it's kinda fun. He's nuts. Just checked the stats out and it was a 4.5, Jimmy says the biggest one he's been in since the 1994 mega 6.6 earthquake which devastated the San Fernando Valley 13 years ago. The huge ones normally happen every 20-ish years or so, so I ain't seen nothin' yet. I experienced another earthquake here earlier this year, in about March or so, and it was scary enough, a 3.2.

We'd been out at a movie screening ("Stardust" - pretty good movie, wicked special effects!!) and are having a late night, getting ready for bed, I'd just finished brushing my teeth and was rinsing my mouth out when the bathroom started to wobble. I use the word wobble because it was moving like a rocking wave. The ground and buildings move here all the time though, so I thought it was either something small and seismic or a big truck driving past, but then it got more intense and started rocking more and then a massive JOLT! It pushed me into the sink and towards the side wall. My first thought was that I'm glad it jolted in the direction it did because our china cabinet should be okay, ha!! The windows were still rocking in the loungeroom when we went to check, and the lamp over our dining room table was swaying away. I'm an Aussie, I'm not used to this, ha!! I came in to check the birds and the cockatiels were fine but the budgies were all hanging on the sides of their cage. Oh well, we were hoping it wasn't a prelude to something even bigger and nastier, but all looks okay now. Apparently the epicenter was about 5 miles from here in Chatsworth. Time to try and get some sleep now. Goodnacht!
P.S. If you'd like to keep track of earthquakes in LA, try this website on for size. See how many small ones we have every day!! Eeeek! http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/quakes0.htm

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jimmy - you do realise that now Laura is in LA, 'things' (eg the odd earthquake) could well happen!!Steinar and I are sending to you both our very best love, and BIG wishes that the pain you Laura are experiencing now will soon be decimated by those antibiotics you've been given. Cross fingers that the medication won't cause you problems too? XXOO Cathie & Steinar

Anonymous said...

Eeeeek! Anything that wobbles (esp the ground), is not right! How scary!! Stay safe girl :) We drove to Wivenhoe Dam on the Ekka holiday coz Simon wanted to play with his new digital camera... the dam is soooo dry, it's frightening! Take care xoxo