Saturday, July 7, 2007

4th of July & more

Why is it that Australia Day and US Independence Day fall on the hottest days of the year?? Just so everyone can have the day off and attempt to have a BBQ in the stinkin' heat of summer?? We had a lovely July 4th the other day, my first one in the US, topped off with a barbie where most people cleverly stayed indoors to escape the scorching heat. Americans are very proud of their country. Even though most here do not seem to agree with the local, state and national governments of late, they'll have no reservations in displaying their flag with pride. How many Aussies have a flag and flag pole handy around the house? As with the Norwegians, if your family doesn't have a flag of some description you'd be out of place. Celebrations and fireworks everywhere, parties, open houses, beach fests, carnivals, stacks of fun no matter what you enjoy.

The barbie was fun, I got to see a lot of my Californian buddies I hadn't seen in a while, some in quite a few years. We each brought part of the meal to share, and Jimmy & I were on coleslaw and dessert patrol. Which leads me to my next thing... be careful when you bring an Aussie cook book to America! Not only are the measurements hard to translate, but ingredients and other food items go by different names here!! I'm like... honey... we need some icing sugar... ICING sugar... ICING... huh?? POWDERED sugar?? Well I'll be... My lemon tart and tropical chocolate truffles didn't turn out quite as expected, perhaps they melted in the heat, but I managed to fix 'em up nicely and they tasted beauty mate!

More news to come!!

2 comments:

Joshua Luke Roberts said...

I have a few of those from England as well. Cordial is called squash, lollies are sweets, its cashback not cashout and most shops expect you to pack your own shopping.

Just to name a few.

tjmooney said...

They don't have Aeros, Cadbury, plum sauce, and now icing sugar? They've probably never seen Siberia either. ;-)