Monday, July 2, 2007

Life in LA

My observations of the day of life in LA, or life away from Brissie...
- I'm enjoying having 2 showers a day again!! And... gulp... often more than 4 mins each
- Taco vans have replaced Mr Whippy Ice Cream trucks.
- It's 30 C on a cool day!
- You bump into people from LA Law, Days Of Our Lives and Will & Grace in the local hardware shop.
- It's 3am on a Tuesday morning & I have the munchies... which of the dozens of restaurants around me shall I visit??
- The airport has direct flights to every continent in the world (...maybe not Antarctica)
- If you're not part of the arts, you're not truly living.
- You can be at a Sound of Music Singalong with 12,000 people, quote every single line and lyric from the movie and still be one of the saner people in attendance.
- Wacky is IN...
- Places you've never been to before seem awwwwfully familiar...
- People here have actually heard of Ginger Rogers, Ann Miller, Cary Grant, The Andrews Sisters.
- Clark Gable owned the property across the road from you and Liberace used to live down the street
- A ham sandwich is just that, stacks and stacks of ham in a sandwich (salad?? HA!).
- Refills are freeeee.
- My cosmetics are half the price! Woooot!
- Electronics are wicked cheap.
- Cars are a fashion statement... like a very large Gold Coast.
- Plastic surgery stores are found in shopping centres. Go have a burger, then go next door and get it sucked out!
- Baseball is... special.
- Flights to Norway are cheaper.
- Budgies have been bred down to half their original Aussie size, pint-sized budgies!!
- International calls are NOT 0.2 cents a minute
- Traders expect you to bargain.
- Want something? Betcha the Rose Bowl Swap Meet has it!!
- Cadbury chocolate, snack, flakes, twirls, etc are not readily available.
- Hershey's is NOT a substitute
- Peppermint cream-filled chocolate is hard to come by.
- I miss twisties!!

And they're my observations of the day.

4 comments:

Sara Pearcy said...

When you've been there long enough to sincerely miss the Twisties and REAL chocolate, I'll send you a Care Package. ;)

Why do you think my friends visit home from NY with empty suitcases??

Loved your other obs, but hey, I thought everyone had heard of RG, AM, CG & The Andrews Sisters?? ...methinks I'd fit in there just fine. ;)

BTW, there is an Aussie food website based in the US and they import all the best Aussie stuff. I don't have the addy handy... just google it. I'll look for it in the mean time. ;)

xx S.

tjmooney said...

"The next sound you hear will be Clark Gable's refrigerator door opening..."

"Plastic surgery stores are found in shopping centres. Go have a burger, then go next door and get it sucked out!"

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha!

Sorry, this comment has no substance, but your observations gave me a load of laughs this afternoon during a borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring day at work.

Anonymous said...

Oh...

dearohdearohdearohdearohdearohdear oh dear oh dear oh DEAR, oh DEAR, OH DEAR,
OH DEAR,

OH

DEAR!!

A bit of Lano and Woodley to further happyify your time! Patrick came back from the US today and by god, I don't want to wait until December, I want to be in LA now!

Can't wait! Say hi to everyone from me! :D

Dex said...

Oh...
dearohdearohdearohdearohdearohdear oh dear oh dear oh dear, oh DEAR, oh DEAR, OH DEAR, OH DEAR...

OH

DEAR!!

A bit of Lano & Woodley to further happyify your time abroad! I don't want to wait until December to come visit you, I want to be there nowww! Say hi to everyone for me!! :D